Friday, April 6, 2018

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Author: Tomi Adeyemi
Title: Children of Blood and Bone
Publication: March 6, 2018
Publisher: Henry Holt Books for Young Readers
Genre: YA Fantasy
Source: Publisher

Website | Twitter  | Instagram | Facebook

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zelie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were targeted and killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now, Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for the enemy.

Mini Review 
I chose this book because I fell in love with the cover. It's absolutely beautiful. There was also so much buzz that I had to see what it was about and grabbed it as soon as it was available at my library. My expectations were really high, so I was a little disappointed. I think the problem was so much focus was on the journey that the world didn't come together well. There was a sense of urgency but not a sense of time to accomplish the tasks. The romance seemed forced and unnatural in a way. I wasn't able to believe that they were falling in love. 

Now, one character Amari seemed to grow steadily throughout the story and I liked seeing the changes in her. I feel like Zelie and Inan didn't really change much to me. The are both fueled by their emotions and tend to lead with them but Amari seems to self-reflect and overcome her own personal obstacles to become stronger. The one constant character was the King and he's a cruel, murderous creature. I didn't like him at all. It was all blood and death when he was around. Overall, the writing is good and the pace is quick but I do feel this is a good beginning to a potentially great story. 

8 comments:

  1. Yay! Another positive review for Children of Blood and Bone I'm seeing. 😁 Every time I see a review, I start getting a lIttle scared, haha. I'm glad despite the forced romance this is a good start. Hopefully the next will be equally as good or better. 🙂

    Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I'm still settling my feeling on it but it wasn't bad and I hope the next one will be better.

      Delete
  2. I love the cover and I heard the buzz around it as well. But I am disappointed that it didn't work well for you.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm hoping the next one is better.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a good one. and I certainly do love that cover! Hopefully the next book will be whole lot better too, especially Zelie and Inan with some character growth. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover as well, it's one of my favorites. I do look forward to seeing what happens next and how the characters grow.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear this wasn't a better read for you. I'm still looking forward to reading it but will probably temper my expectations a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. I think it's still good though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...